Thanksgiving Day Fire Prevention
Are you equipped with a Thanksgiving Day fire prevention plan. Thanksgiving is the leading day for house fires caused by cooking. Crowded kitchens and unattended cooking contribute to most of these house fires. To keep your family safe and enjoy your turkey day, follow these tips for fire prevention.
1. Always remain in the kitchen and keep a close eye on your food, while cooking on the stove top.
2. Don’t leave your house with your turkey in the oven.
3 Keep children and pets away from the stove and oven. Also, make sure they are kept away from boiling liquids and steam that could cause serious burns.
4. If you are frying any food, never leave it unattended and don’t overfill your frying pan.
5. Make sure the stove top is clear of flammable materials: towels, oven mitts, etc. Also, its a good idea to roll your sleeves up as well!
6. If an oven fire does occur, keep the oven door closed, turn the oven off. Do not open the door until the oven is cool.
7. If you use a turkey fryer, only use outdoors, on a stable surface and very far away from any dwelling that could catch on fire from over sailing grease.
8. Make sure all smoke alarms are working!