Holiday Fire Safety
Decking the halls this time of year is so much fun! It’s never good to have to deal with a home fire, but avoiding fire damage is so much harder during the holidays! With all the lights, cozy fires and trees, there are plenty of fire hazards that need our attention during this festive season. Here are a few tips to keep your family and home safe this holiday!
6 Tips For Holiday Fire Safety
- Keep real trees well watered, so they don’t dry out.
- Always turn lights out when away and at bedtime.
- Place your tree at least 3 feet from a fireplace or any heat source.
- Never decorate a tree with candles or use them near your tree.
- Check your lights for frayed wires or loose bulbs. Only use high quality tested lights and ensure you use them only where recommended.
- Discard real trees as soon as possible after Christmas, as the tree will be dry and more of a fire risk.
Follow these safety tips and more at NFPA and here, to ensure that your family has a safe and happy holiday season! Happy Holidays from all of us at IRS!